The City of Carlisle, Arkansas is seeking a highly motivated professional to serve as Public Works Director. The city is a small hometown community located in Central Arkansas, just minutes from downtown Little Rock and North Little Rock.
The Public Works Director Position is full time, executive level and reports to the Mayor. The director oversees multiple divisions including Water, Sewer and Streets. Responsibilities include but not limited to Budget, Maintenance, Repair, Policy and Regulatory Compliance. The director must have a strong technical background and a proven track record of successfully managing and leading staff.
The Public Works Director is responsible for the operations and performance of the Public Works Department. Responsibilities include supervision to ensure safety, efficiency and timely completion of department objectives, while providing developmental opportunities for department employees. Supervises all department staff (e.g., schedules and assigns tasks, interviews job applicants, recommends the hiring of job applicants, recommends discipline, evaluates performance, receives grievances or employee complaints, approves and recommends the approval of leave requests. Oversee the acquisition and maintenance of necessary supplies and materials for the work performed by the department. Interact with City Council committees and the Mayor to facilitate legislative action, policy development and operational planning for the needs of citizens and the Public Utilities Department. Selected Candidate will be required to live within the city limits of Carlisle.
- Executive level management, line item and program budgeting skills necessary to
effectively manage and lead the department.
- Skill in critical thinking and analysis.
- Skill in organizing the work of self and others, setting priorities and meeting critical
- Skill in using tact, discretion, initiative and independent judgment within established
- Skill in operating and maintaining all assigned equipment required to perform the essential
functions of the job.
- Skill in civic engagement and customer service.
- Two-year associate’s degree in a business or equivalent with a minimum of five years of progressive responsibility in public works or utility or related field; minimum three years’ experience as a supervisor, or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Class 2 Water Treatment Licenses. (minimum)
- Class 1 Water Distribution License. (minimum)
- Class 1 Waste Water License. (minimum)
- Able to obtain HVAC Inspector License.
- Able to obtain Plumbing Inspector License.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and ability to pass a drug and criminal background check.
Pay range for this salary position is $45,760 to $56,160 per year. Compensation commensurate with experience and includes a benefits package with Municipal Health, Vision, Dental and APERS Retirement, after the requisite waiting period. A background investigation will be conducted before employment can begin.
Submit a completed application/resume, with salary history to: Mayor Ray Glover, City of Carlisle; P.O. Box 49; Carlisle, AR 72024, in person at Carlisle Civic Center; 215 South Court Street; or sent as a PDF attachment to E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, cc: email@example.com