City of Alma: Public Works Department
CHIEF WASTE WATER OPERATOR
Position Title : Chief Waste Water Operator
Grade Level : 3
Reports to : Public Works Director
Attendance Requirements : 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. and subject to 24 hour a day call-out. See also details under “Knowledge, Skills and Abilities”.
Date : August 2019
Nature of Job: To have the primary responsibility for the operation and maintenance of the City’s Waste Water Treatment Works.
1. To oversee the operation of the Waste Water Treatment Works, to ensure compliance with State and Federal regulations.
2. To maintain records associated with Waste Water Treatment.
3. Able to operate and maintain mechanical equipment.
4. Able to repair and maintain Waste Water Pumping Stations.
5. Able to collect and perform daily physical/chemical analysis of Waste Water samples. Individual will also be required to transport Waste Water samples to a testing laboratory.
6. Able to read and analyze test results.
7. Able to carry out a variety of mathematical calculations associated with maintaining Waste Water quality.
8. Make inspections of industrial plants to assess compliance with effluent standards.
9. Able to prioritize, oversee and preform maintenance of Waste Water Treatment Works.
10. Must be able to operate power equipment.
11. Able to operate and maintain electrical control systems.
12. Able to work in all weather conditions, day or night.
13. Able to maintain safety in the work place.
14. Other duties or requirements as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Individual must have a High School Diploma or G.E.D. Individual should have detailed experience working in the Waste Water industry; possess a working knowledge of waste water, pumps, valves, chemical and other treatment of waste water and operating procedures. A strong mechanical and mathematical aptitude is required. The individual must be able to work unsupervised and, be able to quickly resolve operational problems when they occur. Due to operational requirements, the individual will be required to be on a Duty Roster requiring availability 24 hours a day, seven days a week, when on-call. This will include working on some National Holidays. The individual must possess a valid Arkansas Driver’s License. The individual must live within a maximum thirty minutes drive from the WWTW and, be reasonably able to demonstrate that this response time can be achieved, in order to respond rapidly during on-call duties.
The individual must be able to work in a noisy environment with extreme temperatures, both hot and cold. Lifting up to 75 pounds overhead is required in this position. It is essential that the individual has excellent attendance and punctuality.
1. To ensure continuous operation of equipment and systems at efficient levels.
2. To operate all aspects of the Waste Water Treatment Works in an effective manner.
3. Timely and accurate monitoring of all WWTP systems.
4. Timely and proper response to problems.
Licenses, Certificates, Registrations:
Individual is required to possess State-defined Class III Waste Water Operator License and to maintain the certificate thereafter.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals. Ability to speak effectively with supervisor, employees and members of the public. English is required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
This position involves working out of doors in any type of weather conditions experienced in the City of Alma, Arkansas. Will be required to wear protective goggles and hard hat; move heavy objects; operate power equipment; operate vehicles and heavy equipment; work at night in dim light; read dials and manipulate both small and large equipment parts; maneuver in and around construction sites; operate hand digging, cleaning and cutting tools. Involves work in and around Waste Water.
Disclaimer: Job profiles are not intended, nor should they be construed to be, an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, tasks, skills, efforts, working conditions or similar behaviors, attributes or requirements associated with a job. A job profile is not a comprehensive job description. It is intended for the sole purpose of acquainting a person who is unfamiliar with such position, with a brief overview of the position’s general direction and scope.
Salary Range: $26,170.00-36,884.80