TOWN OF DAMASCUS
ASST. WATER SUPERINTENDENT POSITION DESCRIPTION
Under general direction of the Water Superintendent, the Assistant Water Superintendent is responsible for assisting in the administration of the Town’s Water Department, which includes but is not limited to assisting in the managing of Water/Wastewater Utilities, Parks, Streets, and Trash Service Divisions.
Office is located in the Water Shop. The Assistant Superintendent is required to drive to every facility operated and maintained by the Department and must have the mobility and agility to move to each site as the work demands dictate. Must have the ability to use a personal computer, common office supplies and equipment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
- Responsible to the Water Superintendent for assisting with public works policies, programs, and coordination of the activities of the various divisions of the Department.
- Assists in coordinating department work with that of other departments and agencies.
- Through division clerks, Water Superintendent and meter readers has responsibility for assisting with the planning, designing, inspecting, construction, maintenance, improvement, and repair of town infrastructure.
- Also through supervisors, has responsibility for parks, streets, storm water and flood protection facilities, water and wastewater supply, distribution, collection and treatment, operation of central shop, and public facilities.
- Attendance during regularly scheduled work hours and outside regular hours as necessary.
- Effective and respectful communication and interactions with other employees, supervisors, individuals from other organizations, and citizen customers.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Grade 2 Water Distribution Operator License, State Plumbing Inspector License.
- Knowledge of equipment and tools used on the job.
- Knowledge and skill to inspect, repair and adjust pumps, wells, hydrants, valves, well house equipment, and sewer plant equipment, water lines and sewer lines.
- Knowledge and skill in the installation and repair of water meters.
- Knowledge and skill in taking samples of water and sewage.
- Knowledge to keep accurate records for water and wastewater departments
- Ability to properly inspect motors and pumps and to analyze need for repair or replacement.
- Knowledge of municipal public works administration, planning and design.
- Ability to assist in the supervision of the preparation of plans and specifications for streets, sewers, storm drains, water distribution and treatment and other public works projects.
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of professional, technical, and field employees engaged in departmental activities.
- Ability to prepare clear and comprehensive reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with public officials, employees, and the public.
Areas of Accountability
- Operates equipment including trucks, tractor, power mower, chain saw, etc.
- Performs various preventive and corrective maintenance services on Town equipment and vehicles to insure safe and proper operation.
- Operates various mechanic/shop power equipment and hand tools.
- Maintains all City owned property, performs minor carpentry, paint and minor repairs as necessary.
- Performs daily checks on functioning of pumps, motors and related equipment in connection with wells, water pumping and ponds at wastewater plant.
- Checks for proper operation of pumps and controls and correct injection and usage of water and wastewater treatment chemicals.
- Identify maintenance needs and assist in performing maintenance and repair on water tower, well house and wastewater treatment plant.
- Perform repairs and corrective maintenance as necessary to avoid service interruptions.
- Participate in inspection, maintenance and repair of all water lines, sewer lines, valves and water hydrants throughout the City
- Flush storm and sanitary sewers, clean storm catch basins.
- Perform routine testing of samples from water and sewer.
- Replace and repair water meters as needed.
- Work on occasion longer hours as needed to meet emergency needs.
- Perform any other tasks as required or assigned by the Town Council.
Responsibility for Work of Others
- Supervise and assign work to meter readers
- May provide on-the-job direction to seasonal or temporary employees as required in certain job-related situations.
- Outdoor work in all kinds of weather, many times in awkward positions and dangerous places.
- Abnormal hours for emergencies.
- Heavy Lifting
- Working with hazards of fumes, machinery, climbing, excavations, etc.
Grade 2 Water Distribution Operator License, State Plumbing Inspector License. Two (2) years experience in public works operations. Must live within 30 minutes of Damascus.
Date Posted: 9/26/2023
Posting Expires: UNTIL FILLED
Contact Phone: 501-335-7321
Title: Assistant Water Superintendent
Salary Base: $41,600+ benefits annually Total package $54,458.40+
WHERE TO APPLY (in person or via us mail):
Town of Damascus
17319 Highway 65 S, P O Box 309
Damascus, AR 72039
DAYS & HOURS OF OPERATION:
8 am to 4:00 pm, Monday – Friday
APPLICANTS MUST BE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER. APPLICANTS MUST MEET OR EXCEED ALL REQUIREMENTS.
The above information is intended to describe the general nature of this position and is not to be considered a complete statement of duties, responsibilities and/or requirements.
THE TOWN OF DAMASCUS IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.