Central Arkansas Water
NOTICE OF JOB OPENING
TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR
Opening Date: May 15, 2017
Closing Date: May 19. 2017 or Until Filled
Classification: Grade 8 Non-Exempt ($22.60 per hour-entry)
Summary of Job Duties and Responsibilities: operates treatment plant; maintains records and logs; performs minor mechanical work; assists with delivery of chemicals, may act as Dispatcher after hours; monitors and controls booster stations and tanks; may serve as an extra operator; performs compliance monitoring of Surface Water Treatment Rule; performs other essential duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Algebra.
- Ability to learn principles of basic hydraulics.
- Ability to learn to read and interpret pump controls, gauges, etc. for water supply and take action as needed.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to use independent judgment and make independent decisions.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and complete reports.
- Ability to exhibit excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to write legibly.
- Ability to perform physical, chemical, and bacteriological tests on water samples.
- Ability to read charts, meters/gauges, maps, and records.
- Ability to use basic handtools.
- Ability to lift or move 60 pound sacks.
- Ability to work rotating shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather.
- Ability to work alone at facility as needed.
- Ability to coordinate work with and through others.
- Ability to work overtime when needed.
- Ability to operate menu driven computer.
- Ability to use respirators and work with hazardous chemicals.
- Ability to speak clearly and use radio equipment.
- Ability to deal with complaints and angry individuals without losing temper.
- Ability to maintain positive, professional attitude, and to deal with public tactfully.
- Ability to interpret and explain policies and procedures to customers.
- Ability to use self-contained breathing device (SCBA).
- Ability to read and interpret distribution system maps.
- Must pass pulmonary function test.
- Must maintain a personal telephone due to subject to call out.
- Must take the Arkansas Water Treatment Grade 3 License within 3 months of completion of training required by the State Health Department (should normally be accomplished within 15 months of hire). Pass Water Treatment License exam within 6 months of training.
- Must take the Arkansas Water Distribution Grade 3 License within 3 months of completion of training required by the State Health Department (should normally be accomplished within 24 months of hire). Pass Water Distribution License exam within 6 months of training.
- Must be willing to work overtime when needed.
- High School Diploma or GED including course in Algebra.
- Associates Degree, Bachelors Degree or college level courses in Environmental or Physical Science, Chemistry, Physics, Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Biology, Microbiology, Environmental Health, or related field.
- Knowledge of vertical turbine (centrifugal) pumps.
- Knowledge of operation and maintenance of motors (300 HP and up).
- Knowledge of operation of motors, pumps, and electrically driven equipment.
- Knowledge of equipment preventive maintenance procedures.
- College level courses – Algebra and Chemistry.
Individual works alone depending on shift in a plant environment that in areas is damp, humid, and with some noise. Also works outside in all types of weather. Works with chlorine and other hazardous chemicals.
All interested employees of Central Arkansas Water are encouraged to apply and should request and complete a Request for Transfer/Promotion Form, available from Human Resources, in order to be considered for this position. Interested outside candidates may apply in person beginning on Monday, May 15, 2017 during the hours of 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Human Resources Office of Central Arkansas Water at 221 East Capitol, Little Rock. You may also acquire these forms from CAW’s internet web site. All forms must be completed and returned to Human Resources by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, May 19, 2017 or until filled in order to be considered for the position. Central Arkansas Water will require a pre-employment physical & drug testing for all prospective employees after an offer of employment has been made. All offers will be contingent on the prospective employee receiving a “passing result” on the tests conducted. A criminal background check will be conducted.
Central Arkansas Water is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER and does not discriminate in its employment practices, or any other activities, on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political opinions or affiliation or any other status protected by law.